Cheddar biscuits are the easiest things ever! We don’t have yeast and don’t really plan on making any type of bread at home in the near future. However, it’s still nice to have some sort of fresh-baked savory carbs, and cheddar biscuits fit the bill perfectly. This recipe calls for a few simple and staple pantry ingredients with tasty results.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
- Yield: 6 biscuits
- 2 and 1/2 cups (312g) all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of Hy’s seasoning
- 1/2 cup (1 stick; 115g) unsalted butter, very cold and cubed
- 1 cup (270ml) cold milk
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 cup shredded cheese like cheddar or mozzarella
- Optional: jalapeno slices
- 2 Tablespoons of butter, melted
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C). Place the flour, baking powder, garlic powder, sugar, and salt together in a large bowl or in a large food processor. Whisk or pulse until combined. Add the cubed butter and mix/pulse until coarse crumbs form.
- Stir in the cheddar cheese and jalapeno slices. Make a well in the center of the mixture, then pour the cup of milk in. Stir everything together until just combined– do not overmix the dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and gently mold it into a rectangle using your hands or wooden spatula. Fold the dough onto itself 4-5 times.
- Gently roll the dough out until it’s about 1/2 inch thick. Cut into 3-inch circles. Re-roll any scraps until you have at least biscuits. Make sure all biscuits are touching, and arrange in a cast-iron skillet or close together on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Brush the tops with a little bit of milk. Bake for 15 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown on top.
- Remove from the oven. Combine the topping ingredients and brush over warm biscuits. Enjoy warm!
We enjoyed the cheddar biscuits with vegetarian chili.