We have been visiting the Southern Okanagan for a long time. Ever since we moved to Vancouver, we were always making stops in Oliver/Osoyoos. We really like the landscape, restaurants, and wineries down there. Oliver has desert to the south, lakes, mountains, vineyards, and orchards, where Osoyoos is the only desert in Canada with low rainfall, high desert-like temperatures in the summer. Given the climate, the wines from this area are more robust and full-bodied, especially the reds. We like the laidback vibes and the fact there’s still plenty to do, so this was a frequent place for us to go with our family for Easter and Thanksgiving. Now that we’re in Kelowna, we love popping down for the day.
- Tinhorn Creek – this is an oldie but goldie for us. They have really fun events for wine club members.
- Hester Creek – whites have great Character, the roses are some of our favorites, and the reds are great.
- Black Hills – we’re members here and like to enjoy wine tastings in the cabana poolside. The new winemaker is taking the wines in a French direction, which we really like.
- La Vieux Pin – Old world, French style, Northern Rhone inspired.
- LaStella – La Vieux Pin’s Italian sister.
These are our favorite do-not-miss restaurants!
Where To Stay
- Watermark Beach Resort – waterfront views and pet-friendly! This is our favorite place to stay, given the suite setups with kitchen, dining areas, layout, and location.
- Spirit Ridge Resort – another pet-friendly resort with plenty of amenities.
- Mount View Motel – a very quaint budget motel in Oliver. We booked a last minute trip with some friends and this was the only option available and we enjoyed our stay.
- Walnut Beach – good location with a beachfront, but not pet-friendly so we never stay there anymore.