San Francisco is one of my favourite cities. It has been for many, many years. We like to stay around Knob Hill or in Hayes Valley, as the latter works really well for personal as well as business trips. Haight-Ashbury is also another great neighborhood. There are phenomenal restaurants to be found everywhere, and we’ve always been drawn to the outdoors in San Francisco. Anywhere where you can see the Golden Gate Bridge is an obvious highlight.
Where to Eat
- Rich Table – this is hands down one of our favorite restaurants ever!! The beef tartare is a must. And you cannot go wrong with anything you order here.
- Frances – awesome farm to table style restaurant, California cuisine.
- Smitten Ice Cream – made to order nitro ice cream, you cannot go wrong.
- Salt and Straw – this is an ice cream shop out of Portland Oregon that has expanded nationally, but still phenomenal ice cream!
- Loving Cup – for velvety frozen yogurt in Hayes Valley.
- Johnny’s Donuts – a social enterprise kitchen. I love the concept of this coffee shop, and the treats are all delicious.
- Blue Bottle Coffee – this is a chain, but has pretty great coffee!
- In N Out – It’s not exactly a local homegrown San Francisco joint or anything, but it’s nice for a quick and tasty lunch while sightseeing
- Ghirardelli Square – have something chocolatey here!
Where to Stay
- Parc 55 San Francisco – dog-friendly and in a great location!
- Days Inn Hayes Valley – older hotel but in a great area for food and shopping
What to Do
- Rent bikes and cycle over the Golden Gate Bridge
- Walk around Fisherman’s Wharf and have lunch
- Check out Ghirardelli Square
- Hang out on Lombard Street
- Go for a run along Chrissy Field so you can see views of the Golden Gate Bridge
- Check out an Alcatraz Tour
- Hang out in the Marin Headlands and Sausalito