Austin is one of my favorite cities. It’s just so effortlessly cool, and there’s tons of great food and things to see and do. Here’s are some of the highlights from Austin. Austin seemed like a pretty busy place as it is, so I can only imagine how inundated the city gets when SXSW and other huge events that roll through town. You definitely want a rental car to get around more easily, but the downtown core in Austin is very walkable. This is a fun list of things to see at places to eat in Austin that you could easily knock out in a day.
Austin Must See
- Greetings from Austin mural
- The Boardwalk or anywhere around Lady Bird Lake
- 6th Street for live music – this is a must-see!
- Texas State Capitol building
Austin Must Eat/Drink
- Suerte – order everything to eat and drink! Suerte is hands down one of my most favorite restaurants of 2020. They grind their own corn things for their tortillas! It was luxurious! Suerte is apparently known for its “Suadero Tacos” with black magic oil and avocado salsa cruda, but I couldn’t have any. The carne asada was still a very happy decision, and nothing like any carne asada I’ve ever had. They also said it was Kobe Beef upon serving, and who am I to question them?
- Here Not There – a speakeasy. The vibe is awesome, it smells dreamy throughout the place. And the cocktails are all labors of love.
- BBQ, honestly try to hit up as many as you can to see what you like best! Franklin BBQ is up there. Salt Lick BBQ is a favorite but it’s a small drive to Driftwood Texas. Very touristy, but I like their BBQ sauces.
- South Congress Cafe – for brunch. Try the carrot cake French toast, and the Bloody Mary’s are amazing!
- La Condesa – upscale Tex Mex. The shrimp tacos are a good pick, and all their classic cocktails are great.
- La Pâtisserie – swing by for a coffee and macarons when you visit the “Greetings From Austin” mural