Here’s a nice combo for lunch. Baked sweet potato on a dilly tomato-cucumber salad with Foul Mudammas (Egyptian Fava Beans). It’s quick to make and full of flavor!
Work on the Foul Mudammas first, because it needs a few minutes to simmer with water and olive oil. The salad is quick to assemble. Romaine, tomatoes, cucumbers, with 1/2 lemon and dill.
Warm Fava Beans
- 1 can fava beans
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder or 1-2 cloves fresh garlic
- ½ lemon
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 tomato, diced
- Fry chopped onions in a cast iron pan with some oil.
- Drain the fava beans, and pour into a cast iron pan with ½ cup water, cumin, and garlic. Warm over medium heat. Use a potato pasher or the back of a wooden spatula to smash some of the fava beans.
- Take off heat. Cover with a generous drizzle of olive oil.
- Top with chopped parsley and tomato. Finish with lemon juice, salt and pepper all over.