Borscht is one of our favorite soups of all time. We love beets, we love soup. It’s a perfect match! I’ve gotten a few requests for this recipe, so here it is for everyone to enjoy! Lately, we’ve been leaving out the vinegar to have a more savory tasting Borscht. We also don’t usually have sour cream on hand, but serving it with cold sour cream is a nice contrast and makes it really lovely and fresh. Borscht is easy to make vegetarian or vegan too.
It’s hard to wear gloves peeling beets, believe me, I’ve tried. I see so many recipes and websites warning about your hands getting stained from peeling beets, but I find one good hand-washing is enough to remove the color from my hands.
- Dutch Oven
- 2 Tbsp butter
- ½ onion medium
- 1 lb beets
- 1 carrot medium
- 3 tomatoes medium to large
- 2 potatoes medium
- 1 L broth any type will do
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp ketchup
- 2 bay leaves
To Serve (Optional)
- dill fresh or dry
- Sour cream
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- Thick julienne slice onions and fry in the dutch oven until some slivers are dark brown.
- Peel and grate (or spiralize) beets. Slice carrot and potatoes. chop tomatoes.
- Add beets into the dutch oven and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add everything else into the dutch oven and fill with broth. Add ketchup and Worcestershire sauce.
- Leave to simmer on high until potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Right before serving, remove bay leaves and season with salt, pepper, dill (if using dry), and white vinegar.
- Serve with sour cream and fresh dill.