These marshmallow popcorn chocolate chip cookies are modeled after my favorite cookie from this coffee shop in Vancouver, BC. Since it’s pretty hard for me to get those cookies on the regular, I thought I would try making them at home. I also had an old bag of marshmallows sitting around that was begging to go into something, and this was perfect. I think if I had used fresh marshmallows, they would’ve melted and created caramelized lacey tuile-like edges. However, I’m still pretty happy with how these turned out. Use any type of popcorn, I chose cheddar for a salty and interesting twist. As with all my recipes, use a food scale to measure out all ingredients for consistency.
Marshmallow Popcorn Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
- Prep time: 10 mins
- Baking time: 15-20 mins
- 1 cup of butter (227 g) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (50 g) packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups (284 g) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½-1 cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup small marshmallows
- ¼ cup cheddar popcorn, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Use a stand mixer with the paddle attachment and beat the butter on medium until creamy. Add the sugars and beat on medium until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add egg, vanilla, and water and mix on low to combine. Add the flour mixture and mix on low until combined. Add the chocolate and most of the marshmallows and mix on low until combined.
- Use a cookie scooper (I use an ice cream scooper, they’re probably the same thing) and form dough balls about 55-60g in size. This will yield about 20 cookies. You can bake immediately, or let the dough cool in the freezer for 15 minutes before baking. Make sure the cookies are heaping or half dome-shaped. Gently press pieces of popcorn on top of each dough ball, making sure not to flatten the dough.
- The overall bake time for each tray of cookies is 10-15 minutes, but you’ll take them out after 8-10 minutes of baking to bang the pan as well as press in more marshmallows onto the cookies. Gently bang the pan on the countertop to make the cookies fall a bit and create wrinkles around the edges. Bake for another 5 minutes, or until the edges are slightly brown. The middle should still be soft.
- Once cookies have finished baking, transfer to a wire rack and let cool a bit before enjoying!
Depending on your oven temperature and cookie dough, it’s best to bake the dough when it’s at a very cool to cold temperature. I also like to prepare these cookies the day before I want them, and bake them to order 4 at a time. The cookies taste fresh and have the best texture this way.