Refrigerator pickles are super easy. I haven’t ventured into the world of actual canning yet, so this has to do. It’s simple and doesn’t require any canning equipment. These pickles are both sweet and tangy. We really like having them when we build charcuterie and cheese platters.
Fridge Bread and Butter Pickles Recipe
- mason jars
- large mixing bowl
- 1½ lbs pickling cucumbers , thinly sliced
- 1½ tbsp kosher salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp celery seeds
- ⅛ tsp ground tumeric
- Combine cucumbers and salt in a large bowl. Cover and chill for 1 hour or more, up to overnight. Move cucumbers into a colander and rinse well under cold water. Drain, and return cucumbers to bowl. Add onion to the bowl and toss with the cucumbers.
- Combine the granulated sugar, white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, mustard seeds, celery seeds, and ground turmeric in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, and stir until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Put the cucumbers into the jars, and then pour the hot vinegar mixture. Gently jiggle the jar so there are no air bubbles. Let cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate.