I recently learned how to bread chicken at home, so breaded chicken has been one of our favorite things to make for dinner. Namely drumsticks and chicken breasts. These are pan-fried a little, and then oven-baked to completion. These taste like they are deep-fried, and are a nice treat to have to kick off a weekend. We’ll make drumsticks with this recipe, or we’ll make chicken breasts and then use it for Chicken Parmesan. Or we’ll slice the chicken breasts into strips to have as chicken tenders.
- Prep time: 15 mins
- Cook time: 30-55 mins, depending on the type of chicken
- 6 to 8 chicken drumsticks or 2 chicken breasts
- 1 cup of panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon of Grated 3 Cheese Blend or parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup of oil, for frying
- 1 tablespoon of butter, for frying
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Set up a shallow pan with a rack, set aside. In a small bowl, whisk the egg with 1 tablespoon of water. In another shallow dish, combine cheese blend, bread crumbs, and all seasonings.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Dip chicken into the egg mixture, then coat with crumb mixture. Place on a plate to rest.
- Heat up a cast-iron skillet with oil and butter. Quickly fry each piece of chicken, and then place on the rack in the shallow pan.
- Arrange chicken on the prepared baking pan, making sure the pieces do not touch.
- Bake, uncovered until chicken is tender and juices run clear when pierced.
We enjoyed the latest batch with some Black Hills Cellar Hand.